After services, all 50 contestants had to go to an orientation. Lots of meeting people and finding out the specifics of the program, but the general theme was 'I am so proud of you and excited to help'. I have never taken praise comfortably, so what this meant is that today, I was uncomfortable for about 5 hours (2 hours of church + 3 hours of meeting). Now granted, it wasn't like the Family Guy episode I was picturing the meeting might be like, but it was just a lot more love and support from strangers than I feel comfortable with.
I wasn't expecting them to yell at me and tell me I was fat, but I also wasn't expecting so many people I don't know to be overly supportive of me loosing weight. I understand support is a big component of life change or of getting through tough times. Believe me, I get this, I do it for a living. It just was unsettling for me in this case. It seemed fake. I don't doubt the people's character or that they truly are this supportive and excited for us, it just isn't how I operate. Perhaps its just because I don't put loosing weight on the same level of support need with cancer or death of a loved one - maybe I should.
I think the real issue is that its just not my personality and not how I support people. I'm the person who gives honest opinions. Not mean, just honest. If you ask me if those jeans make you look fat, I'm gonna tell you. If my cancer patients ask me what their odds are, I'm going to tell them. I am a big beliver in realistic hope, and this just didn't seem realistic enough for my taste. I have a feeling that the more realistic support will come in the next 6 weeks, but the happy happiness of today just wasn't my typical version of support.
I'm willing to try anything though and the training and support staff are all professional, so I'm going to go on the belief that they know best. Its only 6 weeks after all!
No comments:
Post a Comment